rec susp ban s

A record suspension (formerly a pardon) allows people who were convicted of a criminal offence, but who have completed their sentence and demonstrated that they are law-abiding citizens for a certain number of years, to have their criminal record “sealed” and kept separately from active criminal records stored in the RCMP database. This helps them to access employment and educational opportunities and to reintegrate into society.



You may be eligible for a record suspension if you:

  • Were convicted of a criminal offence.
  • Have completed all the requirements of your sentence and probation.
  • Have completed the 5- or 10-year waiting period, depending on the nature of the offence.



If you are eligible for a record suspension, you can apply directly to the Parole Board of Canada.

If you need help preparing your application, your local Community Reintegration Officer can help you to assess your eligibility and organize the required paperwork.

Through the Cree Nation government process, your application will be sent to the National Pardon Centre to be completed and submitted to the Parole Board of Canada on your behalf.


Financial Assistance

The Department of Justice and Correctional Services also offers financial assistance to individuals who demonstrate that they cannot afford the costs associated with the preparation and submission of a record suspension application. This financial assistance is based on eligibility criteria that are similar to the legal aid program of the Province of Quebec.

If you qualify for financial assistance, the Department will partially or fully cover the costs associated with the preparation and submission of your application. You will not be required to reimburse these costs in the future.

To request financial assistance, you should consult your local Community Reintegration Officer in the Community Justice facility nearest you. You will need to provide documentary evidence of income, assets and savings.


>> Related Resources